Tuesday, June 28, 2016

School's Out for Summer

School’s out for summer and this Mama couldn’t be happier. I find the structure and

routine of school days a little stifling, something that amuses me seeing as I always

considered myself a routine kind of girl. I think the free spirit in me is starting to

rebel! While I know that continuity and routine are important for helping children to

develop a sense of security, I also know that I absolutely love the freedom of getting

up in the morning, having a lazy breakfast of pancakes, chatting with the kids about

their dreams and then deciding on how best to spend our day.


I remember my own childhood summers, spent catching minnows in the river or

rambling up the side of Mount Leinster, making mud pies in the garden and playing

Hide and Go seek in Ballintemple, helping Daddy on the farm and stirring big pots of

strawberry jam with Mam. It’s those simple, sunny days that have stuck with me and

I want for my children to experience the same simplicity. We haven’t had a foreign

holiday for a couple of years now, choosing instead to stay and explore parts of

Ireland that we’ve never been to. Last summer we had an incredible trip to Northern

Ireland, starting with the Planetarium in Armagh, before heading on to Belfast and

spending an entire day at the fantastic W5 museum. We then spent a couple of

days renting a tiny cabin in Portrush, Antrim, braving the Carrick-a- Rede rope bridge

and learning about legend’s at the Giant’s Causeway before walking the Walls of

Derry and heading across to Donegal, to build sandcastles on the beach in

Bundoran. It was a fantastic holiday and the kids ask about going back constantly.

Carrick - a Rede Rope Bridge with Ruairí in back carry 

Giant's Causeway
We had a super week on Valentia Island too, where we holiday every year with my

husband’s family, sailing, kayaking, fishing and riding our bikes, jumping off the

water trampoline in the harbour, looking for fairies at Derrynane and flying kites on

Ballinskelligs beach.
Ballinskellings Beach, Kerry 
Kayaking from Valentia Island to Mainland 

Ireland has so much to offer. Yes, sadly you can’t rely on the weather and packing

sun cream, sun hats, woolie jumpers, umbrellas and wellies in the same bag can be

a massive pain, but it’s also really lovely to teach the children a little about our own

history. Learning how to pitch a tent into the mix, is a bonus in my book! I’m hoping

we’ll get lots of sunny day this summer, to explore New Grange and Glendalough

and visit Lough Tay, where we’ve never been. The beautiful Tomnafinnoge Woods

in Tinahely is an absolute must on a sunny day, stopping off at the Daisy Cottage

Farm café for some delicious home baked picnic treats . Wells House in Wexford

and the Dunmore Caves in Kilkenny will also be on our list. We’ll have days where

we’ll stay close to home and take in our favourites, Altamont Gardens, Huntington

Castle, Rathwood, Duckett’s Grove, Oak Park and of course, our very own back

garden. Happy holiday’s!
Tomnafinnogue Woods, Tinahely

No comments:

Post a Comment