Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Letting My Baby Lead The Way

I've been a mother now for nearly 7 years.  During this time I've developed my own eclectic parenting style.  I dip in and out of parenting books (more out than in these days).  I try to read up to date research.  I draw on the psychology I studied as part of my undergraduate degree.  I follow tips I have gotten form other moms online.  I take what works for me and my family and I run with it.  One thing that has worked really well over the years and that just makes sense for us is baby led weaning. It's really exactly what it says on the tin.  The baby takes the lead in the weaning process.  I have breastfed all my children.  They have been in control of their own food intake from the get go and so it has always seemed like a natural progression for them to just reach for food from my plate as soon as they were ready to do so - generally around the 26 week mark.  Although the littlest here is almost 8 months and is only getting into his stride in the last few weeks.  The HSE have adopted the most up to date World Health Organisation guidelines which suggest that around 6 months is the optimal time for the introduction of solids.  Current research suggests that prior to this babies gut is simply not ready and the early introduction of foods can increase the risk of infections and allergies.
Pasta with roast veggies
The premise of baby led weaning (BLW from here on in) is that baby eats what the family are eating. No need for purees or for mashing.  No need for freezing ice cube trays.  No (devoid of flavour, not to mention nutrients) baby rice.  As soon as children become developmentally capable of feeding themselves that's exactly what they start to do.  Being responsible for feeding a family of five, this makes my life easier on so many levels.  The term was originally coined by a UK midwife and health visitor, Gail Rapley, although I imagine before the advent of mass marketing our grandmothers and great grandmothers simply called it eating!

Chomping on a bread roll at a local barbecue 
BLW allows babies to explore foods for themselves.  Getting to grips with different sizes and textures encourages dexterity right from the start.  It provides an opportunity for baby to practice chewing, thus helping to develop the facial muscles.  It aids hand - eye coordination, the development of the pincer grip and fosters confidence, independence and decision making.  As a parent it is a real joy for us all to enjoy meal times together - including Poppy the dog who sits patiently waiting for spills.

Because my children eat what we eat there is very little they haven't tried.  I love to cook and generally we eat a huge variety of foods from prawns. calamari, crab claws and steak to avocado, hummus, beetroot, butternut squash, sweet potato etc.  It often amazes people to see little people tucking into such a wide variety of foods.

I know when we started the process with our eldest there was an initial choking worry, definitely not helped by the gagging, coughing and spluttering that sometimes went on.  Reading more about babies gag reflex helped to allay any fears.  An infants gag-reflex is further forward and so more easily activated than an adults.  Gagging actually pushes food away from the airway if it is too big to swallow and shows that baby is learning  how to manage food safely.  Babies certainly don't appear to be phased by it and usually carry on munching.  A choking baby will be silent, because no air is able to get past the blockage.  Undertaking a paediatric first aid course also helped me to relax a bit more.
Baked salmon, corn on the cob & potatoes 
So what do you need to practice BLW?  1. A baby. 2. Some food.  It really is that simple but as with everything, there are some guidelines:

- Baby should be in and around 26 weeks and showing signs of readiness i.e reaching for foods.  Waking at night is not a sign that baby is ready for the introduction of solids.  Babies are designed to wake often during the night, it's a preventative measure against SIDS.
- Baby should be able to sit upright, with support if necessary and have good head control.
- Baby should be allowed to go at his own pace.  A parent should not try and "help" by putting things into his mouth.
- Baby should not be left alone while they are eating.
- Potentially dangerous foods such as peanuts and honey should be completely avoided, as should fast foods and foods high in salt and sugar.

Keeping those suggestions in mind has led me on a really incredible journey with my older children, and now again with my littlest.  Watching his expressions change as he seeks out a new flavour, seeing his dexterity increase as the weeks go by, sharing my love of good food with him, it's just a wonderful experience.  An incredibly messy, wonderful experience but who doesn't love a good mess???
Getting to grips with a water beaker 

No comments:

Post a Comment