Sunday, July 12, 2015

My First (And Last) Car Boot Sale


Is one man's trash really another man's treasure?  After today's little adventure I think it's safe to say that my trash is sadly just my trash.  I am guilty of being an absolute hoarder.  I frequently go through my packed wardrobe, pull things out, stuff them into bags and earmark them for the charity shop, only to shove said bag into the back of the press and pull it out a couple of months later and refill the wardrobe with things that I haven't seen in a while and "might" just "get a wear out of".  

As my family has expanded so has the amount of "stuff" that we have amassed.  The laundry piles have gotten higher and harder to keep on top of.  The play room resembles the wake of a tornado. Organised chaos reigns.  So, in a desperate bid to reclaim some semblance of control I finally decided to get ruthless and have a massive declutter and as I had never been to a car boot sale before I decided it might be a fun thing to try.

Fun turned out to be some seriously hard slog for not a whole lot of financial gain.  Toys, books, shoes, coats, clothes, DVDs, hats, scarves, paintings, photo frames, cushion covers, old baby equipment, candles - you name it I had it, sitting in a pile on my hall floor.  I spent the best part of Saturday sorting things into piles and packing the car so that I'd be ready for Sunday's early start.   
Collecting items to sell 
Packing the car
I had heard great things about the Kilkenny Car Boot Sale, on the Callan Road just outside the city.  I was advised to be there at 7am to claim my pitch and set up for the day.  Selling starts at 8am.  It was an early, coffee fueled start.  I had read bits and pieces about pricing and trying not to appear like the new kid on the block but I failed pretty miserably by blurting out "Eh I've never been here before, where should I go?" as soon as I crossed the gate.  Thankfully a kindly neighbour took me under his wing and before long I had unpacked the car and had my first customers arrive.  

6am Start 
My little market stall
The sun was shining and there was a great buzz as people came and went, some ready to barter, some lingering for a chat, while others just had a quick browse before moving on.  It was very surreal at times to see elements of my life spread out for strangers to remark upon.  To know that items which were important to me - little shoes that once housed my daughters precious piggies, cuddly toys that once slept enfolded in my sons arms - held no value to others.  I felt nostalgic at times.  It was an exercise in letting go and I tried to embrace it.  I sold books for as little as 10 cent.  My biggest sale was two pairs of my husbands old football boots which went for €16.  Dresses, some never worn and with tags went for €3 each.  I was clearly not going to make my fortune on this particular Sunday.

I had hoped to sell the majority of items and drop anything that didn't sell off at our local charity shop tomorrow but as the day wore on and things got quieter it became clear that I had sold all I was going to sell and so the car was packed up once more and I arrived home absolutely exhausted.  After paying my €20 sellers fee I was left with a profit of €79.  Not a whole lot for a 6am start, an hour long return journey and 8 hours work!  There are definitely easier ways to make a few bob.  I had some pretty decent items.  I wasn't looking for a whole lot for them and anything anyone showed an interest in I let it go so I'm not really sure how I could have done better.

What I did earn was a new found respect for people who do this type of thing on a weekly basis.  I'm not a naturally confident person.  Making small talk with strangers isn't something that comes easily to me so to have spent the day doing it was an enjoyable challenge.  Ultimately I don't think I missed my calling as a sales woman and I'm pretty sure my first experience of car boot sale selling will also be my last!




No comments:

Post a Comment