Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Loosing My Midwife - A Letter to Leo Varadkar

Dear Minister,

I am 32 weeks pregnant.  I opted for home birth care under the HSE Home Birth scheme.  Two weeks ago I learned via social media that my midwife would no longer be in a position to care for me as her indemnity insurance had been withdrawn by the HSE.  She was notified of this on a Friday evening at 5.30, mother's in her care have still to receive official notification of this.  The HSE left mothers due that weekend in limbo, stressed, panicked, anxious - not things a woman needs to be subjected to during the most vulnerable time in her and her babies life.

My midwife and friend is Philomena Canning. She's an incredible woman, strong, caring, kind and a professional through and through. In 31 years of service to women all over the world she has had zero negative outcomes.
Yesterday I watched her enter the High Court to fight for her right to practice a profession that she lives and breathes. On the streets outside there were tears from those of us who have been lucky enough to bring children into the world under her care, those of us currently on her books left unsure of the route our impending births will take, colleagues,friends & women concerned for the future of birth rights in Ireland. Philomena champions those rights.

Our health service is failing us.Women are entering hospitals and leaving in coffins.Women are leaving our maternity hospitals carrying their dead children home to be buried.9 staff were found to have 'a case to answer' in the death of Savita Halapanavar.  Not one was suspended never mind fired.  All are still practicing in GUH. Inquests in Sligo. Investigations in Portlaoise. This is what the HSE call care.

I'm utterly saddened to be a pregnant woman in Ireland today.  I simply cannot fathom why pregnant women are being treated in this way over what amounts to a witch hunt.  I informed my of the situation via telephone as soon as I became aware of it via social media at 9.30 on a Saturday evening. She had no knowledge of it and later had the situation confirmed to her via a text from a superior - is this really how the HSE do business?

My DMO has been so supportive of me and my homebirth application since the beginning and I am thankful for her care.  I am not thankful that I had zero contact from HSE on this, that I had to push for an explanation and when contact came via email it was devoid of any emotion, empathy, explanation.

Philomena Canning is no threat to me or my baby. She was with me for the birth of my daughter in 2011. She was with me through a miscarriage is 2012 when I was sent home from hospital without so much as an information leaflet, a paracetamol or a sanitary towel.

She was with me through an ectopic pregnancy in 2012 and she's been with me every step of the way in this pregnancy when I've sometimes been so scared I can scarcely breathe.  

And now at 32 weeks her care has been removed and my option is a stranger to me and my family or a hospital and frankly I'd rather birth on the side of the road than enter an Irish hospital as a pregnant woman.

I'm saddened beyond words.  It's simply not good enough.  I have never met a more kind, caring, competent healthcare professional in my life. 

The HSE should be ashamed of its treatment of this stalwart of birth and it's treatment of pregnant women.

Please Minister stop allowing the HSE to operate without impunity.

Kind Regards,

Ethna Quirke
Carlow


 Rainy Day Protest Outside the Dáil


No comments:

Post a Comment