Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Magic Of Disney

There are lots of great things about having kids.  Up there amongst my favourites is undoubtedly movie days.  Curling up by the fire, in our jammies, snuggling under blankets with bowls of hot, buttery popcorn that we've popped and just chilling out. Wet, winter weekends are perfect movie days. I never feel like I should be out and about so we’ve had quite a few lately. I love introducing yet another Disney classic to the kids. Just as my love of words was shaped in childhood by the incredible works of Roald Dahl so too has my love of film been shaped by the magic that is Disney.  A great tagline but so much more.  Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan and many more. Happy memories of precious trips to a cinema that no longer exists. Castles, dragons, beautiful people and love at first sight, Disney has been fuelling the imaginations of children the world over since the 1937 release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - the first full length animated film.


In my teenage years, I used babysitting as an excuse to watch and re-watch 90’s releases - Beauty & the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, Mulan, Tarzan, The Lion King. Some have made their way into my own collection and Beauty & the Beast is up there with my all-time favourites.  For me a part of the magic also comes from the film score.  As a lover of music, I can’t help but completely loose myself.  During my time in Australia, I went to see The Lion King in the Sydney Opera House and it was one of the most incredible experiences ever.   The setting, the story, the music, the costumes, the colours – all mingled to create an absolutely electrifying couple of hours.  I’ve yet to make it to Disneyland but I’m sure that when we do, it won’t be just the children that are awed by the majesty!

As a huge admirer of Emmeline Pankhurst and The Suffragette movement, it hasn’t escaped my notice that Disney has been guilty of reinforcing patriarchal stereotypes.  It’s something that the company has been heavily criticised for, alongside the penchant for predominantly white characters.  I am however a realist and I think Disney pedaled a reflection of society.  It wasn’t bold or daring.  It didn’t seek to challenge attitudes of servitude and submission, or racial inequality.  Maybe it could have, but it’s doubtful that in doing so, it would be the empire it is today.  Rather, just like one of its stories, Disney has evolved, not quite a pace with society granted, but evolved none the less.  We see strong female lead characters, daring adventures and love coming not from a handsome prince but from within.  Movies like Frozen, Big Hero Six, The Lego Movie, and Moana all offer something very special. Walt Disney said that the real trouble with the world is that too many people grow up.  I think my inner child will always be kept young by movie days with Disney classics.




No comments:

Post a Comment